Saturday, January 16, 2010

Health stuff

I keep forgetting to update on the big health issue.

I'm going for my breast biopsy on Wednesday, first thing in the morning. As prep, I've had to avoid aspirin and acetaminophen-containing products, which has been a bit of an inconvenience given my current cold.

Basically, they're going to be doing a type of mammogram to locate the offending area, and then poking it with a wire to get a sample. The area gets numbed, and the entry area is very small, coverable with a bandaid, but boy, I'm not looking forward to it. Just the thought of an extended mammo is annoying enough. Anyway, I think it takes about an hour. I'll reread the material before I go.

I'm not thinking too much about results... except when I get occasional reminders. Like those damned pink ribbons. I mean, I'm grateful that people are focused on a cure, and I've contributed myself, but all the drama isn't for me.

The new boyfriend is coming with me, at his suggestion, so I'll have someone to drive me home. I just hope he doesn't make too much of a deal out of it (i.e. I'll love you no matter what, etc.). I really hate having to manage through people's own shit that they're projecting on the shit I'm going through. It's bad enough I have to go through it. I don't need people to say much beyond good luck and, if they've gone through it, what their experience was, if they want to share. That's helpful, and it doesn't make assumptions about what I'm thinking or feeling.

1 comment:

  1. I still think you should have your sister go instead of the new bore friend. But that' just my opinion. Having been through this procedure before, it was great to have another woman there.

    ReplyDelete