Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Well, I'm giving it another shot

Saturday I took the boyfriend on the quasi Edison tour -- starting at the giant lightbulb and local museum in Menlo Park and then moving on to the Edison National Historic Park in West Orange. Me being me, I ended up getting into a conversation with one of the volunteers at Menlo Park, who's an even bigger Edison geek than I am and volunteers at the National Park. When he suggested going to West Orange, I mentioned my love of the site and my frustration that the management there hadn't responded to my volunteer application. Surprised, he gave me names of a couple of rangers to ask for during my visit. Cool!

Turned out I didn't even have to ask. I'd already been planning to buy an Edison park pass ($30 for a full year of visits, as much as you want), and the ranger at the visitor center tried to talk me into a pass that would get me into any park in the system, plus some other federal properties. Ordinarily, I'd do that, but I really didn't want to spend $80, and, as I told him, "I'm an Edison geek."

"Oh!" he said. "We get lots of those here! If you're really into it, you can even volunteer here," noting that he is responsible for the volunteer program and needs people desperately. Yes, he was one of the rangers the Menlo Park volunteer had told me to find.

Ah... he walked right into my web. After a short chat, he gave me a card to fill out, and said he'd give me a call to talk more.

So here's hoping! I'm sure there's a way I can do both that and Ellis Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment